Friday, October 14, 2005

Speaking of Book Reports...

DD#2's second book report was due today. Turns out I worried about Flowers for Algernon for naught: her teacher didn't think it was science fiction. However, DD#2 was impressed that her teacher actually knew about the book.

I didn't feel like challenging the teacher's definition. I found another book: The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin. I picked up the copy last year at the local library's book sale, intending to read it. I just haven't got that far down in the pile. (And the library has a book sale coming up in about two weeks!)

This made for an interesting discussion last night while DD#2 was writing her report.

"You were wrong about the main character being an anthropologist," she told me. "She wasn't. What made you think she would be?"

"The blurb," I replied. "And the fact that the author's background is in anthropology."

"You don't even know what anthropology is," chimed in DD#1.

"Yes, I do," retorted DD#2. "Mom told me."

A little later DD#2 comes up to me. "You read this book, right?"

"As a matter of fact, I haven't."

A look of... shock? panic? crossed her face. "I thought you read everything!"

Whatever her question was, she had to answer it herself.

Next subject up is Historical Fiction. However, no Dear America books, which, of course, we have boxes of. No series books, which eliminates the Little House books and Anne of Green Gables. No American Girl books (which we also have boxes of).

"Well, you could go to the library," I suggest.

DD#2 gives me her Look. It is very much like the one my father used to give me when I made a suggestion he considered a bit outlandish.

I wrack my brain, going through lists of books we have on hand.

"I suppose you read Shadow Spinner?" I suggest.

"Fifth Grade," she answers.

"The Egypt Game?"

"Last year. How about The Witch of Blackbird Pond?"

"Yes, I believe that's historical fiction. But don't you have to read that next year?"

"I don't think so. I think she [the teacher, who is new to the school this year] changed everything."

"Well, ask her then."

Somewhere along the line, it has become a point of honor with DD#2 not to have to get any of her book report books from the library nor to have to buy them. Since I have three tubs of books in the garage and several more boxes in the attic, I don't think that's going to be a problem!