Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Mother's Day

Sunday was Mother's Day here at the Rabbit Warren.

DS#1 was born, my first child, and I worried that I was going to blow it.

He's 22 and still here. So far, so good!

His wish? That I would bake him a birthday cake.

It's not that I hate baking, particularly. It's just that it's not an activity I take particular joy in doing. I have baked him birthday cakes in the past and they were okay. But they were kind of thrown together at the last minute. Or first thing in the morning, if I was sending cupcakes to school.

The local grocery store was having a 10/$10 on cake mixes, so I bought several.

"Pick one," I told him when I got home. (And that was something of a surprise. His schedule seldom matches the rest of the household's.) I knew he likes white cake, so I had picked up a box of that. I had also picked up a box of "Funfetti"--you know, white cake with sprinkles in the batter. That was what he picked.

I also bought Spiderman(tm) decorations--the crunchy kind made of pure sugar that you peel off the paper. And a can of frosting. Hubs had bought an aerosol can of frosting so that we could write on the cake. I made spiderwebs and connected the Spiderman(tm) decorations.

DS#1 was truly impressed. He loved the Spiderman(tm) touch.

Hubs and I also had bought numeral candles. And we had a 2 left over from my birthday and DD#2's. (She's 12. I'm older. :)

"So," DD#1 asked DS#1, "do you want to be 22222?"

For his birthday dinner, we had potstickers, sushi, edame, and shrimp. (I love our local warehouse store!) DS#1 had gone out to brunch with friends and was too full to each much dinner, which meant there was plenty for the rest of us.

Hubs and DD#1 picked out his birthday present: an i-Pod Nano.

"Now I'm a real college student!" he laughed. "I'm totally plugged in."

To top it off, yesterday he found out he got a B on his Advanced Calculus class. If he had to choose between that and the Nano, the B might actually win.

Other than the fact that I'm too young to have a child who is 22 (I wish!), it was a very satisfying birthday, for all those involved.