Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Another Sort of Anniversary

"Today is the fifth anniversary of the U.S.S. Cole bombing. Please take a moment to note the event on your blogs today if you have a chance. Stars and Stripes pays tribute to the 17 sailors killed in the terrorist attack, the dozens wounded, the survivors, and the families affected. "

Michelle Malkin has more on her site. Check out her column published today at Townhall as well.

I had pushed the Cole to the back of my memory. I remember the incident, but not the date. However, I will not forget the bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks in Lebanon. That was the headline of the San Francisco Chronicle on the day DS#1 was born. He was 18 shortly after September 11 and I worried what kind of world--what kind of war--my son and his friends were going to become caught up in.

If the U.S. had responded differently 22 years ago to the bombing in Lebanon, would we be in Iraq today?