Monday, August 01, 2005

I Am Not Alone

There is a strange synergy in the air. I write about Battlestar Galactica and my opinion that it’s the best show on the air. It’s also one of the few to incorporate religion as a necessary part of the plotline. Then this article shows up in Saturday’s (July 30) edition of The Contra Costa Times: http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/entertainment/.

Diane Werts of Newsday (the original feed of the article) writes:
“Rodney Dangerfield was wrong. It's sci-fi TV that don't get no respect.

“Case in point: A vice president in the TV industry recently asked me what TV shows I watch for enjoyment. I mentioned my favorite is "Battlestar Galactica" on Sci Fi Channel. She laughed. I asked if she'd seen it. No, she said, and laughed again.

“Did she know, I asked, that it's a gritty adult drama of family members and colleagues in deep-rooted conflict not unlike that of "The Sopranos"? That they're part of a civilization struggling not only to survive but to define itself amid messy terrorist warfare? That it explores the values of competing societies that demonize each other's spiritual beliefs? That it's full of gutsy acting by the likes of Edward James Olmos and sophisticated allegory mirroring today's global politics? She laughed again.”

Then Entertainment Weekly does a feature article on Galactica. According to writer-executive producer, Ronald D. Moore: ''I was really struck by the dark nature of the premise,'' he says. ''There's this genocidal attack that wipes out the human race, and then your heroes are people that are running away. When you watch that pilot in the post-9/11 world, it has a completely different resonance than it did in 1978.''

Hmmm. Must be a sign.