Thursday, December 29, 2005

Movie Review: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

This movie was much anticipated in our family and received mixed reviews, mostly split by gender.

Hubs, the girls and I enjoyed it. DD#1 and I have read the book (DD#1 has read the entire series, I believe) and felt that this version is very true to the story. Hubs and DD#2, who have seen other versions, liked the special effects and the acting. Aslan and the White Witch are the best we've seen. Aslan seems wild; the Witch is evil and cold and powerful, although her power literally melts in the light. Where previously I felt that Edmund was a spoiled brat, in this version I felt sorry for him. He's very much the neglected or overlooked "middle child." Peter and Susan rather bully him and baby Lucy. Mum does her best, but there is the stress of wartime and bombings, and Edmund seems to miss his dad more than the others. I can see why he does what he does.

The boys didn't like the movie. DS#1 thought the bombing part was overdone, until DD#1 and I pointed out that actually happened and explains why the children ended up in the house of The Professor. DS#2 thought the dialogue was "corny." I kind of get the feeling that they both felt their emotions were being manipulated (after all, this is Disney) and they didn't like that. DS#2 did admit the final battle scene was pretty cool. I thought the sword fight was well-choreographed; he didn't.

STAY FOR THE CREDITS! I'm a credit-junkie, anyway (victim of film classes in high school), but about half the theater left or were leaving and missed the last bit.

On the March Hare scale: 4 out of 5 Golden Tickets. I think this movie suffered some in comparison with the latest Harry Potter, which has a lot more action. I'm glad we waited a few weeks to see it.

By the way, did anyone else notice the similarity between the last name of the Narnia children (Pensevie) and the Pensieve of Harry Potter fame? (And the word "Pensive"?)