Friday, December 09, 2005

Mary's House

I found this article through links on both The Anchoress and Happy Catholic.

This is my favorite quote:

"Once again, all those who come will return changed," said Fr. Adriano Franchini, resident of Meryem Ana Evi (the house of Mary) and superior of the Franciscan Custody of Turkey. "I am sure of that because the house of Mary brings consolation and peace to all."

Well, what else would expect from the House of the Mother of God.

There are two traditions about the last years of the life of the mother of Jesus. Some say she traveled with St. John the Evangelist to Ephesus but then returned to Jerusalem, where she died. Others say Mary spent the last years of her life here in a house St. John built, living in silence and in prayer.

I kind of like to think of Mary, after the drama of the Passion, Resurrection, Ascension, and Pentecost, spending her remaining years in quiet contemplation and prayer. I can't think of another human being who deserved it more. And the image of Mary as the first cloistered nun, the model for all who follow, appeals to me.