Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hasn't She Heard of Cloth Napkins?

Apparently Sheryl Crow hasn't heard of cloth napkins and has come up with the idea that we should use removable sleeves to wipe our mouths after dinner.

But where are kids going to hide the vegetables they don't want to eat?

Back when I was trying hard to be the "good mom," we ate at the table and used cloth napkins (with napkin rings!). Depending on how messy dinner was, we could reuse the napkins several times. Okay--they were dark colors so the stains didn't show. But still...

Ms. Crow's Bright Idea is right up there with another one I heard this summer. At one of the Girl Scout camps, the counselors came up with a great idea to conserve paper towels: they taught the girls to "air-dry" their hands after washing them.

When I heard that, I burst out laughing. "You had to teach them that? They didn't know how to dry their hands on their jeans?"

Fortunately, I was not alone in thinking that this was weird.

I guess some people have just led sheltered lives...