Sunday, March 11, 2007

In Thanksgiving II...

When we came home last night, the mailbox was overflowing. There were two large envelopes from the high schools DD#2 had applied to.

I knew immediately what that meant, but DD#2 opened the envelopes and read the cover letter to be sure.

She got into both high schools. She called one of her best friends, who got into all four high schools she applied to and is also applying for the same out-of-district high school we are.

"I can't believe they don't want me to go to summer school," DD#2 said. I had already received her test scores from one school; the other school included them in the acceptance packet. (Her scores were a little bit higher for this school because she had already taken the test the week before.) I pointed out her percent ranking and her grade equivalent scores.

"I don't want to hear 'I'm stupid' any more," I told her.

She blushed.

Soon we'll have to make a decision: do we persue this? Catholic high schools are expensive and DS#1 is going away to college. And he's majoring in mechanical engineering which means his textbooks will start at about $100 dollars. Each. (One of the Assistant Scoutmasters offered to lend DS#1 his engineering texts. His wife and I laughed--his texts are probably a bit out of date!)

Right now, however, it's time to celebrate!