Friday, July 21, 2006

This 'n That

I got to work from home this morning. I was summoned for Jury Duty, then told to be available for afternoon duty. But I wouldn't know until 11:30 a.m. if I would have to report at 1:00 p.m. Swell. It's practically impossible for me to get from work to the county courthouse in 90 minutes, especially since I take public transportation. (Ironically, it's also a "Spare the Air" Day and public transportation is free). So I suggested I work from home, especially since Fridays are half-days during the summer (we work a slightly longer day Mondays through Thursdays). My boss agreed.

The best part? I was eventually excused. The second-best part? I'm already home. The third-best part? I commandeered the computer from the kids who, being older, pretty much didn't wake up until 10:00 a.m. anyway. So the house was quiet.

We're currently in the middle of a heat wave here, most unusual for July. However, "heat" is a relative term in the Bay Area. You have to know where you live and where you're going in order to dress appropriately for the weather. Regional forecasts are given for "coastal areas," "around the Bay," "inland areas," and "well-inland." There can be a 20-degree difference between the coast and "well-inland."

The Warren is located in one of areas tagged "around the Bay" which means that it's usually the same temp at my house as it is at work. However, where I catch BART is significantly cooler. And my ancestral home is often cooler yet. Hence, one way to spot the natives is to see who has a sweater or jacket with them, even on the hottest days, "just in case."

As long as the nights are cool, I enjoy warm weather. All too soon the fog will creep in and wool will (again) be the order of the day.