Thursday, November 17, 2005

Humiliation and Discipline

In Oklahoma:

(A mother) made Coretha (her daughter) stand at a busy Oklahoma City intersection Nov. 4 with a cardboard sign that read: "I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food."

But the punishment prompted letters and calls to talk radio from people either praising the woman or blasting her for publicly humiliating her daughter.

But it was okay for the daughter to humiliate her parents with her behavior, right? And don't we want our children to realize their actions have consequences? Sometimes we have to help them visualize what those consequences might be.

Of course, there's always sackcloth & ashes. Or the public stockade.

The daughter's reaction to this?

Henderson said her daughter's attendance has been perfect and her behaviour has been better since the incident.

Coretha, a soft-spoken girl, acknowledged the punishment was humiliating but said it got her attention. "I won't talk back," she said quietly.

(H/T: Sigmund, Carl, & Alfred)