Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year!

We have a lot to celebrate, Hubs & I, about 2009. DS#2 graduated from high school; DD#1 was accepted to UC San Diego, then rejected, then wrote (with considerable help from her friend) a letter explaining why she should be readmitted--and she was; DS#1 is being challenged by his senior project and learning about life choices; and DD#2 is learning some hard lessons that will benefit her later. So I wanted to celebrate the end of the year in style, perhaps by the 1940's era dinner dance on board the U.S.S. Hornet, or a gathering with friends.


So, of course, we both got sick: stuffy noses, sore throats, coughs, fevers, sinus headaches. We stayed at home with DD#2, who was glued to the computer, and Hubs and I watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and Master and Commander. We hadn't seen either of them in awhile (and we've done the Twilight Zone marathon). Epic stories, rousing scores, significant eye-candy, stunning visuals--and I didn't have to get dressed up.

This morning we watched the Rose Parade. It's 72 deg F. and clear in Pasadena, CA, but here in the Bay Area it's foggy and in the 50's. I'm still in my pjs and robe, waiting for the Rose Bowl to begin in about an hour (Go Ducks!).

DS#1 and DD#1 are back in their college homes. DS#2 is sleeping; DD#2 is probably watching TV in her room, enjoying having it all to herself again. Hubs is in bed, alternately watching football and sleeping off his cold. I'm sufficiently drugged, so I can function. (We need at least one quasi-functioning adult around.)

Wow--I'm not sure where the Capitol One Bowl is played, but it's been raining throughout the game and the turf is natural, so this game is turning into a regular mud bowl. Which is not a bad thing. Mud adds an extra dimension to the game.

Oh--signs of life from DS#2! (Turns out he got home around 5:00 a.m.)

Here's to a blessed and safe 2010 for all of my friends, IRL and on the Internet.