Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Reasons Why I'm a "Mean Mommy"

Late for Mother's Day and in no particular order:

  • I had more than one child.
  • I expect them to do chores.
  • I nag them when their chores aren't done and take away privileges.
  • I don't pay them to do chores.
  • They are responsible for their own laundry.
  • Even though their father drives them crazy (and me, too, sometimes), I stay married to him.
  • In fact, their father and I have a healthy intimate relationship and I tell the kids they should be happy about it instead of thinking it's "gross."
  • They don't get everything they want.
  • I buy them clothes from second-hand stores and their shoes on sale.
  • I expect them to call other adults "Mr." or "Mrs." or "Miss" followed by that person's last name.
  • I expect them to say "Please" and "Thank you."
  • I make them greet the host and hostess at a party (usually the parents of their friends) and to thank the host and hostess when they leave.
  • I make them write legible Thank You notes, correctly spelled and punctuated, and following the correct form.
  • I make them go to Mass.
  • I sent them to Catholic grammar school.
  • I made them join Scouts.
  • Hubs and I are actively involved in their lives, especially Scouts.
  • I wouldn't let them quit an activity or a team in the middle of a season. And I made them feel very guilty if they couldn't play due to academic ineligibilty.
  • I read to them.
  • I made them read.
  • I made them join the local library's Summer Reading Program every summer.
  • I took them to museums and science centers, whether they wanted to go or not.
  • We stop at historical markers and read them.
  • I ask them personal questions.
  • I made them share their rooms with their siblings.
  • I don't buy junk food (much).
  • I don't take them to fast food restaurants often.
  • I don't cook a different dinner to each of them. If they have a problem with what I'm serving, they can fix themselves a bowl of cereal. Or pick out what they don't like.
  • For vacation, I make them camp in dirt and sleep in a tent and swim in a lake or a creek.
  • I drag them to historical re-enactments, Pioneer Days, and County Museums.
  • They didn't automatically get their license and a car at 16.
  • They couldn't/can't get a piercing of any sort until they are 18.
  • I made them go to Confirmation class.
  • At family parties, I made them greet each and every aunt, uncle, grandaunt, granduncle, and grandparent in the room. And kiss or hug them. (Kissing cousins is optional.)
  • I play classical music in the morning before they go to school. And in the car on the way to school.
  • If they don't like my music, I put on "Sourdough Slim, the Yodeling Cowboy."
  • I forced my children to listen to Celtic music and classic rock, too.
  • I dragged them to every special event that was free in our community. And to quite a few that weren't--especially Celtic festivals.
  • I talk about why I think abortion is murder.
  • I talk about why I don't support the death penalty.
  • I know everyone in my local community and they all spy on my kids for me. (Not quite true, but true enough!)
  • I have high expectations of them.
  • I expect them always to do their best and give 100% effort.
  • I know they're not perfect and I tell them that.
  • I love them anyway.