Friday, August 29, 2008

The Heat Is On--Climatically

I'm not talking politics. I'm talking about the temperature outside. It was hot enough that I've been going bare-legged. And I'm an old-fashioned gal--going to work sans-hose is a serious decision.

So we're at the end of the summer. And my legs are ivory-white. So white that my colleague thought I was barefoot because my legs matched my shoe color!

Of course, it hasn't been this warm for most of the summer. The kids started back to school this week, so we traditionally have a heat wave now. (The other traditional time for a heat wave is just before school lets out in June.) And, rather than walking, I've been taking an aqua-aerobics class in an indoor pool. So, the color of my legs is no surprise.

I do have one question: how in the heck do women wear regular shoes without stockings and not get blisters? The shoes I wore yesterday are a pair I've had since I was pregnant with DD#1, so it's not the fact that they're new. But I see women wear pumps and no stockings all the time. How do they do it? Take them off when they get home and cry?