Friday, April 07, 2006

Remembering the Little People

When I enter the lobby at work in the morning, I say hello to the security guard on duty. He's a nice guy and does a good job.

When I leave in the evening, I say good-bye to the security guard who is on duty then. A different guy, not quite as out-going, but he's still a person.

I was taught it was polite to acknowledge the presence of those who serve us: wait staff, bus drivers, sales clerks, crossing guards. It doesn't take any effort, really, to wish someone "Good morning" or "Good afternoon." Sometimes they smile. Someone appreciates them. They are not just part of the furniture, the metal detector, the wall.

You know where this is going, don't you?

Rep. McKinney should have remembered this important point.

She complained that the security guard should have recognized her. My question to her is: does she recognize him?