Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Scotty Beamed Up To The Final Frontier

Posted by Kevin, at Whizbang:

"The phrase 'Beam me up, Scotty,' will be forever attached to memory of James Doohan who played Scotty. The quote, much like the series, is fiction that's no part of popular lore."

I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Doohan suffered from Alzheimer's. I heard him speak at one of the first Star Trek conventions, in Oakland, CA. He was funny, witty, could do several different accents (I believe he was from Canada originally, but I could be wrong), and had made peace with being forever known as "Mr. Scott."

Hubs and I are big Star Trek fans. Scotty was one of our faves. He had a boy's fascination with making things work. He had a sheepish grin when he got caught out. But he was efficiency itself when the going got tough. Practical, intelligent, a sense of humor--and a taste for good whisky. What more could you want from a Chief Engineer?

Rest in Peace, Mr. Doohan. You've earned it.