Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Wisdom of Solomon

The Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream at night.

God said, "Ask something of me and I will give it to you."

Solomon answered:
"O Lord, my god, you have made me, your servant, king to succeed my father, David; But I am a mere youth, not knowing at all how to act. I serve you in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a people so vast that it cannot be numbered or counted.

"Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong. For who is able to govern this vast people of yours?"

The Lord was pleased that Solomon made this request.

So God said to him:
"Because you have asked for this--not for a long life for yourself, nor for riches, nor for the life of you enemies, but for understanding so that you may know what is right--I do as you requested. I give you a heart so wise and understanding that there has never been anyone like you up to now and after you there will come no one to equal you."

1 Kings 3: 5, 7-12

That was the first reading on Sunday, July 27. I had the privilege of proclaiming it at Mass and it struck me how appropriate--how necessary--this reading was to our country's situation.

I find it even more appropriate now.

So when The Anchoress stated she was going to pray and fast until the Election was over, I decided to join her, especially when she explained her idea of fasting was more a Lenten type fast. For me that means three small meals, no snacking, no sweets, no alcohol.

I'm tired of feeling helpless. I am praying to God and asking Our Lady of Guadalupe, one of my favorite icons of Mary, to watch over us here in America and guide us with a mother's care. (Maybe Our Lady of Perpetual Help would be more appropriate?) Like the Anchoress, I'm praying for guidance for my personal vote as well as guidance for the country. I'm leaving the results in His Hands--much like I do when the cardinals select the Pope.

I've slipped up: a s'more at Camporee, beer at my parish's Oktoberfest, cake at an Eagle Court of Honor. I have managed to avoid the fresh-baked cookies at work. :)

After Mass on Sunday, I was talking to one of my fellow parishioners. I mentioned the video at CatholicVote.com and how it would make an excellent meditation piece for a parish prayer service because of its emphasis on voting for life, for family, and for your conscience. His eyes lit up, "What a great idea! We should have a Mass of Discernment the Monday before the election. I'll talk to Father at the Parish Council meeting tomorrow night." We both agreed this wouldn't be a matter of telling people how to vote, but encouraging them to pray over their decisions and reflect on them. There are a couple of State Propositions and local issues on the ballot that are also important--it's not all about the Presidency.

I don't know if Father bought into the idea. But it's a mustard seed.

Can mustard seeds overcome ACORNS? I guess we'll find out.

(The Anchoress is also posting Compline and Vespers, for those inclined to more formal prayer and reflection.)